Most Americans spend a significant portion of time in their vehicles. We commute, drop off kids, pick up kids, shuttle family members to doctors appointments, riding lessons and soccer games. It’s inevitable that the interior of our cars begin to get a bit grubby with all the time we spend in them. With all that driving comes a fair bit of eating as well. It only takes one two year old and a package of animal crackers to turn the interior of your mini-van into a disaster area. The answer? A car vacuum cleaner.
What to Look for in a Car Vacuum Cleaner
Most people own a household vacuum cleaner that could be used in the car – but ultimately, how many people want to haul their vacuum to the curb or driveway? Having a portable car vacuum cleaner may mean the difference between regular cleanings or living with dirt, pine needles and cookie crumbs on the floor mats. Here are a few features you may want to consider when you shop for a car vacuum cleaner or looking at car vacuum reviews:
- Portability – The more compact the better. In fact, if you can find one that is small enough to store under a seat or tuck into a pocket in the trunk so much the better.
- On-board tools – Cars have lots of nooks and crannies to clean. Look for a car vacuum that has a crevice tool. An upholstery brush can be handy but they are generally too bulky to be included in most portable vacuums.
- Car Power Adapter – It’s no fun to have to swap out batteries. Look for a car vacuum that has a car socket power adapter so you never have to worry about batteries or running a cord from the garage.
- Bag vs Bagless – For the money, the bagless vacuums tend to be the best since you don’t have additional costs. That said, some bagless vacuums have more of an issue with the collection canister breaking. Read reviews carefully and buy a vacuum with a decent warranty and you’re likely to be happy with the bagless variety.
Finding the Best Car Vacuum Cleaner
There are a few ways you can rate car vacuum cleaners. In general, it’s best to look for a vacuum cleaner that is portable, has a decent warranty, is competitive in price and gets consistently high car vacuum cleaner reviews. Here are a couple car vacuum cleaners that we recommend that fit into the categories mentioned above along with some basic product information:
- Black & Decker PAV1200W – This is a great little vacuum with lots of terrific features for the money. It’s a 12v car vacuum cleaner so you can plug it in right in the car. It comes with a crevice tool, upholstery brush, hose and storage bag. It has a pivoting nozzle and the filter is simple to empty. While it is a little bulkier than other car vacuums it has excellent suction and a good cord length so even SUV owners shouldn’t have a problem. All this and a 2 year warranty for less than $50!
- Eureka Hand Held Vacuum – A powerful vacuum with strong suction, the Eureka gets consistently high reviews from users. It’s bagless and easy to operate and comes with crevice and upholstery brushes. Drawbacks are the standard plug (though it does have a long cord) and the fact that it’s a bit heavy.
Keeping your car clean is much easier when you have a car vacuum cleaner on board. Dirt and messes are quickly removed. If you’d love a cleaner car, why not give a portable car vacuum cleaner a try?